domenica 26 marzo 2023

Handmade Lolita resources

Yes, I've been gone for more than a whole month. I know. I was supposed to update twice weekly but stuff happened so I just disappeared, my bad. I'm back now though, so let's get started!

I've been wanting to write about handmade Lolita for a while now, but there are so many resources it's impossible to wrap them up in a single post so I'll try to fit in as much infos as I can here.

So, what you'll need to start sewing your own Lolita pieces is patience, before anything else. Sewing is a wonderful hobby, but it's hard and not necessarily cheaper than buying brand, so yes, it could save you some money, but depending on the fabrics and materials you use, making your own dresses might actually be even more expensive than buying them. It's greatly advised to get a sewing machine if you don't have one already. Sewing by hand requires more skill, more patience and far more practice than using a sewing machine. You could also buy a beginner sewing kit, they usually contain the basics you'll need to start: threads, needles, pins, marking tools or chalks and measuring tools.

Before starting, In order to avoid making pieces that won’t fit a petticoat, or using fabrics that won’t match with the Lolita look, try studying more about the fashion beforehand. If you’re making your first lolita piece, you’re going to need a really good grasp of what you’re trying to sew and what you’re trying to match.

Studying the composition of pieces you already own to understand patterns is also a good option.

This post isn't a how-to sewing guide, but rather a gathering of resources that could help.

YouTube channels

Blogs

If you're looking for patterns, the Otome no Sewing series is a great start, you can either buy physical copies of the magazine or find scans on the internet. Cut/Sew and Lolita Sewing Patterns store are another great option but you can also find patterns on Etsy.

My advice if you're just starting out is to make simple accessories first. Like headdress and wristcuffs, to familiarize with sewing before starting big projects like JSKs and OPs. Modifying basic clothes to fit into Lolita aesthetics is good for starting, too. 
Another tip is to learn a bit about fabrics. You don't have to make dresses out of 100% pure cotton, but I would say to avoid excessively cheap and/or shiny fabrics. A good fabric can make a big difference on how your work looks.
Going to a fabric store and feeling the fabrics is the best way to learn.

It’s not rare to find people looking down on handmade Lolita but pay no mind to what they say. Sewing your own clothing is something you should be proud of, handmade Lolita is the same as any other Lolita, just because you're not wearing an expensive brand dress it doesn't mean anything!. Maybe it won’t be perfect on your first or second try, but practicing takes time and you should be proud about what you make, regardless of how it looks. Don’t be afraid to brag about your pieces: you made them, and that’s amazing! Wear them and show off!

This post was shorter than I expected, but I'll probably update with some links when I find them.
Hopefully I'll get back to posting now that I'm not busy, and if you have any suggestions or questions as always you can comment under this post or find me on my other socials.
See you in the next one!


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Last august dump

 I may have neglected this blog again, but in my defense, my life has felt like a Final Destination movie for the past two months and I got ...